|Subject:||Forking conclusion, I hope.||Date:||Thu Mar 26 12:17:27 2015|
First, thanks to everyone who had comments and thoughts on my problem. |
What I ended up do was to machine a new "Spring fork clevis extension". The one I replaced was small in two dimensions, those being the diameter of the shoulder that centered the large spring and the overall diameter which centered the lower end of the spring/clevis assembly within the spring chamber.
By doing that it greatly reduced the play at the clevis and while the steering head and chamber can still contact at the end of the fork travel, they can no longer hit in the mid-stroke range.
A quick test ride seems to show things are working properly without anymore clunking/clanking.
While I was at it I also made a new front brake bearing as the original had been wrapped with some shim stock to take up wear. The hole in the backing plate is still a little oblong and at some point I should ream it round and remake the bearing but for now it's working better than it was.
Now I'm on to pulling off some of the nickeled items for replating which is leading to another question or two......